Welcome to the ASAP Exemplars. This project is a cooperative one involving
12-22 district school boards in Ontario and the York/Seneca
Institute for Science, Technology and Education (YSISTE).
For students, the purpose of exemplars in science and technology is
- show the characteristics of student work at each of the four levels
of achievement in Grades 1-8
- demonstrate what is required for their achievement level to increase
- increase understanding of the grades received in report cards
- motivate students towards improved performance
When you are given clear expectations for learning, clear criteria for
assessment, and immediate and helpful feedback, your performance improves.
Your performance also improves as you take responsibility for your own
achievement and reflect on your own progress.
These exemplars will assist your learning in the following ways:
- You will be introduced to a model of one type of task that will be
used to assess your learning, and will discover how rubrics can be used
to improve your product or performance on an assessment task
- The assessment tasks and the exemplars will help clarify the curriculum
expectations for learning
- The rubrics and the information given in the tasks themselves will
help clarify the assessment criteria
- With an increased awareness of the assessment tasks and rubrics, you
will be more likely to communicate effectively about your achievement
with your teachers and parents, and to ask relevant questions about
your own progress
- You can use the criteria and the range of student samples to help
you see the differences in the levels of achievement. By analysing and
discussing these differences, you will gain an understanding of ways
in which they can assess their own responses and performances in related
assignments and identify the qualities needed to improve your achievement.
Before looking at the exemplars for the first time, it is essential to
review the FEATURES of the ASAP Exemplars.
It might also be useful to review the BACKGROUND
to the ASAP Exemplars, which describes the overall project and how
the exemplars were obtained and selected. When you are ready to access
the exemplars themselves, return to the EXEMPLARS HOME PAGE.